My favorite Christmas gift this year was from my beautiful sister-in-law, Anita. We had told each other that we both wanted to make as many handmade gifts for our family as possible and she did not dissappoint! Isn't it cute? And it works wonderfully, too. The skin around my eyes feels so soft and I feel much better using this than I do about putting mineral oil on my face (ew!) I think it's a fantasitc gift idea and you probably want to make one for yourself, too!
There were several comments asking about the process or recipe for this. Simply saturate the cotton swabs in olive oil and then package them in a small jar. You can add a little extra olive oil to the bottom of the jar if you like. Hope that helps!
Thursday, February 26, 2009
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
I made a great find at a thrift store recently--a popcorn maker!
My kids LOVE it. I love it, too and here are some of the reasons why:
- Popcorn is an easy healthy snack.
- By making my own popcorn I can control how much butter and salt is used.
- Popcorn kernels are MUCH cheaper than pre-popped popcorn or microwave popcorn.
- There is very little waste with popcorn kernels, as opposed to microwave popcorn which often has a plastic wrapping, plus the paper bag, not to mention to cardboard box it comes in.
- It's fun to watch the popcorn popping (and it takes about the same amount of time as microwave popcorn)
- No hot dangerous oils or burning microwave bags.
If you decide to go thrifting for a popcorn maker I'm sure you'll find plenty to choose from. When I bought this one there were four others on the shelf, including a brand new one still in the box. Just be sure to check the power cords for kinks or fraying--setting your house on fire is not frugal or green. :)