I made a great find at a thrift store recently--a popcorn maker!
My kids LOVE it. I love it, too and here are some of the reasons why:
- Popcorn is an easy healthy snack.
- By making my own popcorn I can control how much butter and salt is used.
- Popcorn kernels are MUCH cheaper than pre-popped popcorn or microwave popcorn.
- There is very little waste with popcorn kernels, as opposed to microwave popcorn which often has a plastic wrapping, plus the paper bag, not to mention to cardboard box it comes in.
- It's fun to watch the popcorn popping (and it takes about the same amount of time as microwave popcorn)
- No hot dangerous oils or burning microwave bags.
If you decide to go thrifting for a popcorn maker I'm sure you'll find plenty to choose from. When I bought this one there were four others on the shelf, including a brand new one still in the box. Just be sure to check the power cords for kinks or fraying--setting your house on fire is not frugal or green. :)